My Hubs loves chocolate chip cookies and cake with Buttercream icing…
So for Dad’s Day I gave him both…
Behold, the “Chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake”
Why yes, that’s chocolate chip cake filled with eggless chocolate chip cookie dough topped with chocolate chip buttercream…..
*cue angels singing*
These were seriously, seriously good and crazy rich. Serve with a quart of milk…Also, they’re fairly labor intensive so don’t make them for anyone that you don’t really love a lot!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet or bittersweet)
- For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 7 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (plus extra for decorating)
- For the frosting:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners (about 20). In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and brown sugar. Beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl on low speed, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, mixing each addition just until incorporated. Blend in the vanilla. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cookie dough filling, combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mixture has firmed up a bit, about an hour.
- To fill the cupcakes, cut a cone-shaped portion out of the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with a chunk of the chilled cookie dough mixture.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until creamy. Mix in the confectioners sugar until smooth. Mix in the salt, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and well blended.
- Frost the filled cupcakes as desired, sprinkling with mini chocolate chips for decoration.
They really do taste like cookie dough! I’ve never made butter cream with brown sugar before but I’m now a fan….
PS…the filling makes about twice what you need but is kinda fabulous as a dip for graham crackers. I’m just sayin’….. 🙂
Hubs is totally worth these, plus the bacon omelets, hash brown casserole, BBQ chicken and smashed taters that he requested for brunch and supper on his special day….
And he posed for pics, which doesn’t happen often….
Yesterday was a great day!
Here’s hoping the rest of the week is just as sweet…